Wisdom Teeth Removal in NYC
Wisdom teeth often cause problems in the mouth because they crowd other teeth and become infected. Removing these teeth can prevent painful problems and keep the rest of your teeth safe and healthy.
Call Glassman Dental Care at 212-787-4860 to schedule a wisdom teeth removal consultation.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Between your late teens and mid-twenties, you may notice bumps at the back of your gums behind your molars. These are your wisdom teeth, the third set of molars.
Wisdom teeth usually don't emerge from the gums correctly. They may not emerge at all. This condition causes the teeth to become impacted. Most people have no room for wisdom teeth to grow.
Potential Problems With Wisdom Teeth
The following problems could occur if you don't have your wisdom teeth removed.
- Impaction: Wisdom tooth impaction happens when there is not enough room in the mouth for the teeth to emerge. Teeth may also come in at the wrong angle, causing many other problems.
- Gum Pain: Your gums could be sore where the wisdom teeth try to emerge, especially if the tooth emerges and re-emerges multiple times.
- Damage to Healthy Teeth: Wisdom teeth could crack or break healthy teeth nearby. If cracked teeth are not found and repaired in time, they may need removal.
- Movement of Other Teeth: The pressure of wisdom teeth could move other teeth, causing orthodontic problems.
- Abscesses: Impacted teeth can cause gum abscesses or infections. Abscesses can be very painful and need surgical treatment.
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
With everything that can go wrong with wisdom teeth, it makes sense that most dentists recommend having these teeth removed before they cause problems.
Here are more benefits of having your wisdom teeth removed:
- Avoid Orthodontic Problems: Taking out wisdom teeth is an essential next step if you already had braces. If your wisdom teeth crowd your other teeth, it could send them out of alignment.
- Decrease Risk of Gum Disease: Removing impacted wisdom teeth makes it easier to keep gums healthy. Compromised gums mean that you could develop periodontitis or severe gum disease.
- Prevent Jaw Damage: When wisdom teeth are infected, the bacteria could cause tumors or cysts in the jawbone. This problem could lead to TMJ, a painful jaw condition.
Are You a Good Candidate for Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Most patients have their wisdom teeth removed when they are teens or young adults. In most cases, the decision to have the surgery early prevents complications.
The longer you wait to remove the teeth, the greater the likelihood you will encounter a problem. Healthy adults at any age can have their wisdom teeth removed, but the procedure is more manageable for younger patients. When in doubt, don't wait.
Why Choose Glassman Dental Care?
Our convenient NYC location offers a broad range of cosmetic, preventative, and restorative dentistry services. We also offer orthodontic services. Our practice cares for each patient and their dental health. We use updated techniques that help us provide the best service in the area.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom tooth removal is a surgical procedure. Many patients want to know why they should have it done. We have answered several of your top questions about wisdom tooth removal.
Why shouldn't I leave my wisdom teeth alone?
Up to 80 percent of all wisdom teeth need removal because they are causing problems in the gums. Most dentists in NYC recommend having them removed to prevent future issues. We can help you decide what is best for you.
When is the best time to have wisdom teeth removed?
We can remove wisdom teeth as soon as the dentist determines there is no room for them to grow. Most patients have them removed in their late teens.
Younger patients have shorter recovery times and experience fewer complications than those in their thirties and beyond.
How long does it take to remove wisdom teeth?
In our office, wisdom teeth removal takes about an hour. Impacted teeth may take a little longer. Your comfort is a priority.
How much time will it take to recover from getting my wisdom teeth extracted?
Our advanced procedures mean you will experience little to no discomfort after the removal. Many patients prefer to rest for a few days. We will send you home with any medications you may need.
Removing Your Wisdom Teeth in NYC
If you still have wisdom teeth, chances are they could cause problems in the future. Call Glassman Dental Care at 212-787-4860 to discuss the benefits of wisdom teeth removal. Our dentists will help you achieve a healthier smile.