Are you considering teeth whitening treatments? There are a wide variety of products available, both in stores and through most dental offices. Whitening treatments vary in price and effectiveness, which can make it difficult to determine which product to try.
When choosing a treatment option, a common question many people have is, how long does teeth whitening last? It depends on a variety of factors.
Professional vs Store Bought Whitening Treatments
One of the biggest factors in how long teeth whitening lasts is the quality of the product. The better quality the whitening treatment is, the more effective it will be in terms of results. You’ll get more dramatic whitening from a professional whitening product than from something you purchase at a drugstore. The whiter your teeth are immediately following treatment, the longer your results will last before you need to whiten again.
- Professional whitening treatments: After the initial in-office whitening treatment, only periodic touch ups are required at home to keep your results lasting longer. Many treatments include custom made trays you can wear at home with whitening gel applied at night.
- Over the counter whitening treatments: Products like whitening strips and wands may take weeks of daily treatment to get results, and may need to be continued weekly to maintain the results.
There is no guarantee how long your results will last because every patient is different. But you’ll get more dramatic, longer lasting results from professional whitening treatments.
Other Factors that Affect How Long Teeth Whitening Lasts
There are aspects of your daily life and habits that may affect the length of your results. Consider the following:
- Oral hygiene habits. Do you brush your teeth twice a day? Dentists recommend twice daily brushing to remove plaque and keep your teeth clean and healthy. Regular brushing will help your results last longer.
- What you eat and drink. Certain beverages and foods are notorious for causing teeth discoloration. Coffee, tea, red wine, and soft drinks can discolor your teeth more quickly following your whitening treatment. Foods like blueberries, blackberries, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and other dark colored or dyed foods can stain your teeth. If you consume these foods and beverages regularly, you may find that you need to whiten or touch up your teeth more often to maintain your results.
- Smoking. Smoking cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and other tobacco-based products can cause your teeth to yellow more quickly than they would otherwise. Your whitening results may not last as long if you smoke.
The KӧR Teeth Whitening System
One of the most popular professional teeth whitening treatments offered by dental offices is the KӧR Teeth Whitening System. Here’s how it works.
- Your dentist will make a mold of your teeth to create your custom-fit trays. You will receive a whitening gel, tooth desensitizer, and an instructional DVD.
- Wear your comfortable trays with the whitening gel every night while you sleep for 2 weeks.
- Return to your dentist for the in-office deep whitening portion of your treatment.
After the initial 3 step treatment, you’ll only need to wear your trays once a month with whitening gel to maintain your results. The KӧR Teeth Whitening System is known for its effectiveness and long lasting results.
Glassman Dental Care Provides the KӧR Teeth Whitening System
At Glassman Dental Care, we recommend the KӧR Teeth Whitening System and provide the full treatment for any patient who is an ideal candidate. An ideal candidate for teeth whitening has healthy teeth that require no major dental restorations.
Before investing in teeth whitening treatments, many patients wonder how long the results last. You don’t want to spend the time and money whitening your teeth just to have them looking dull again in a few weeks or months. The key to lasting results is a system that includes regular touch ups like the KӧR Teeth Whitening System, which is why we recommend this product to our patients.
Call 212-787-4860 or contact us today to schedule a teeth whitening consultation. We look forward to helping you achieve a brighter smile.