Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment designed to straighten teeth and help them meet together properly when you bite down. Although it was invented in the late 90s as an alternative to braces, it is still a relatively new treatment in comparison. Invisalign can correct many of the same orthodontic issues as braces, but there are some things that it can’t fix.
If you’re considering this treatment for yourself or your child you may be wondering, can Invisalign fix an underbite? Here’s what you need to know to determine if Invisalign is the right orthodontic treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a system of clear aligners that adjust the position of the teeth. The aligners are made of clear plastic that fits snugly to the teeth and is virtually invisible. Treatment consists of a series of aligners, each slightly different from the last to gradually shift the teeth into alignment. You wear each aligner for about 2 weeks, then switch to the next in order until you have worn the entire set. After you have worn all of the aligners your treatment is complete and your teeth should be in the ideal position.
What Orthodontic Conditions Can Invisalign Treat?
Invisalign works best for mild to moderate orthodontic cases that may or may not include the following conditions:
- Overbite: the top row of teeth extend too far beyond the bottom row of teeth when you bite down.
- Underbite: the top row of teeth meets behind the bottom row of teeth when you bite down.
- Cross bite: some of the teeth are in front and others are behind when you bite down.
- Open bite: the front teeth don’t meet together at all when you bite down.
- Crowding: the teeth are pushed together and overlapping due to lack of space.
- Crooked teeth: the teeth are uneven or turned in different directions.
- Gaps between teeth: there are visible spaces between the teeth.
What Invisalign Can Not Do
There are some orthodontic conditions that Invisalign is not capable of correcting:
- Severe bite misalignment.
- Teeth that need to be moved up or down in the socket to align with the other teeth.
Is Invisalign Right For Me?
If you’re wondering whether or not Invisalign is the right orthodontic treatment option for you, the first step is to have an evaluation. Glassman Dental Care can assess the current position of your teeth and the alignment of your bite and make a recommendation for the best treatment option for you. Invisalign is effective for many people, but it is not necessarily the best choice for everyone. The following questions are key questions that can help you make an informed decision.
- Can Invisalign address my specific orthodontic needs?
- Can I wear my aligners for at least 22 hours a day?
- Can I keep track of my aligners?
- Can I keep my aligners and my teeth clean throughout treatment?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, Invisalign may be the right option for you. If you answered no, you may want to consider alternative treatments.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
Are there any food restrictions with Invisalign?
Invisalign includes removable aligners that you can take out when you eat. This means there are no food restrictions with Invisalign. Just be sure to take them out before you eat or drink anything other than water.
Does Invisalign cost more than braces?
In most cases Invisalign and braces are comparable in cost. The exact cost of treatment depends on a variety of factors, such as the extent of your orthodontic needs and the length of your treatment.